Thursday, December 8, 2016

A CALL TO FOSTER.

I did not hear the depths of the Lord's voice say in the midst of my wondering, 
"Hailea, I want you to be a foster parent!" 
Nope, unfortunately it didn't happen that way...at least I didn't hear it with my ears.

I heard it with my heart. 

There are several reason why Matt and I chose to become foster parents. Matt was inspired as a kid when he had several friends who were in foster care. The Lord laid it on my heart in college. We are financially stable. We have a great support system. We both love kids. Oh, and we have TWO extra bedrooms that aren't being used! However, one reason resonated deeply in my soul, and continues to this day.

Before Matt and I got married we both agreed that if we were ready for marriage then we should be ready for children. I was good with that. He was good with that. So we went into marriage with the possibility of children in the back of our minds (hint hint☺). I didnt necessarily want to have kids immediately, but I wasn't closed off to the idea. Actually, deep down I hoped that we would get pregnant immediately. But month after month after month, nothing happened. No signs of pregnancy. I also knew deep down that something was up, that something was hindering me from getting pregnant. I knew I would need to see a doctor. Still, I held on, hoping and praying that we would suddenly be expecting.

When pregnancy wasn't happening, we discussed foster care. We agreed that at the end of the year, and one year of marriage, if we hadn't become pregnant then we would start the process to become foster parents.

On November 29, 2015 we celebrated our one year anniversary. 
Still, we weren't pregnant.
I was disappointed, discouraged, and starting to become angry. 

I prayed several times, pleading with God for a baby. I even questioned Him asking, "Why do you allow the women who dont even want kids to get pregnant so easily? The ones who dont really want to take care of them, who dont care about parenting? They pop 'em out like candy! But those of us who acutally want kids and want to be good parents struggle?"

His answer came in the form of a song.

Do something by Matthew West

The Lord said to my heart, "I created people like you to take care of
 those children who parents can't take care of them."

That was my call to foster.
And all I needed.

We sent in our interest form, picked our agency, and started the process right after Christmas. 
Then, after...
Gobs & gobs of paperwork.
Background checks.
References. 
Fingerprints. 
A home study.
And numerous hours of training...
We were approved on March 18, 2016 for placement.  

He called, I answered. 
The Lord hasn't filled my womb with babies, but He has for sure filled my heart with them.❤

http://sweethoneytothesoul.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment